King George V was the King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions from 6 May 1910 until his death in 1936. He was the first British monarch of the House of Windsor.
George was born in Marlborough House in London on 3 June 1865. He was the second son of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. He was named George Frederick Ernest Albert.
George was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge. He joined the Royal Navy in 1877 and served for ten years. He became Duke of York in 1892 and Prince of Wales in 1901.
George ascended to the throne on the death of his father in 1910. He was crowned at Westminster Abbey on 22 June 1911. He reigned during World War I and the interwar period. He was a popular and respected monarch.
George died at Sandringham House in Norfolk on 20 January 1936. He was succeeded by his eldest son, King Edward VIII.
Here are some additional details about King George V:
- He was a tall, handsome man with a military bearing.
- He was a shy and reserved man, but he was also kind and compassionate.
- He was a devoted husband and father.
- He was a strong supporter of the British Empire.
- He was a popular and respected monarch.
King George V was a significant figure in British history. He reigned during a time of great change and upheaval, and he helped to guide the United Kingdom through some of its most difficult times. He was a beloved monarch, and he left a lasting legacy.
Here are some additional facts about King George V:
- He was the first British monarch to visit India.
- He was the first British monarch to fly in an airplane.
- He was the first British monarch to broadcast on the radio.
- He was the last British monarch to be crowned Emperor of India.
- He was the last British monarch to wear the Imperial Crown of India.
King George V was a complex and fascinating figure. He was a man of his time, but he was also a man who was ahead of his time. He was a traditionalist, but he was also a reformer. He was a strong leader, but he was also a kind and compassionate man. He was a beloved monarch, and he left a lasting legacy.