Classic Homemade Apple Pie: A Timeless Delight
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6-8 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 6 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced apples (use a mix of tart and sweet varieties like Granny Smith and Honeycrisp)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
For the Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix. Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disk, wrap them in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one disk of dough into a circle large enough to fit your pie dish. Carefully transfer the rolled-out dough to the pie dish, gently pressing it into the bottom and sides.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the sliced apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice. Toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- Pour the apple filling into the prepared pie crust and dot the top with small pieces of butter.
- Roll out the second disk of dough into a circle. You can either place it on top of the pie as a whole or create a lattice design by cutting it into strips and weaving them over the filling.
- Trim the excess dough around the edges and crimp them together to seal. Brush the top crust with beaten egg, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and allow it to cool on a wire rack for at least 1-2 hours before serving. This will help the filling set.
- Serve your homemade apple pie warm or at room temperature, and if desired, pair it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for an extra touch of indulgence.
Enjoy this classic homemade apple pie with its buttery crust, tender apples, and aromatic spices. Whether it’s for a special occasion or a cozy evening treat, this timeless delight is sure to satisfy your cravings and fill your home with a delightful aroma.