Recipe: Homemade Strawberry Jam Doughnuts
Preparation Time: 2 hours (including rising time)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
Yield: Approximately 12 doughnuts
For the doughnuts:
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Oil for frying
For the strawberry jam filling:
- 1 cup strawberry jam or preserves
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the warm milk, eggs, and softened butter.
- Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 5-7 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch it down to release any air bubbles. Turn it out onto a floured surface and roll it out to a ½-inch thickness.
- Using a round cookie cutter or a glass, cut out circles from the dough. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover the doughnuts with a kitchen towel and let them rise for another 30 minutes.
- While the doughnuts are rising, preheat the oil in a deep pot or fryer to 350°F (175°C).
- Carefully place a few doughnuts at a time into the hot oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Fry them for about 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Remove the fried doughnuts using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Once the doughnuts have cooled slightly, fill a piping bag fitted with a long, narrow tip (or a Ziploc bag with a corner snipped off) with the strawberry jam.
- Insert the tip into the side of each doughnut and gently squeeze in a small amount of strawberry jam until the doughnut feels slightly heavier.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until smooth, creating the glaze.
- Dip each filled doughnut into the glaze, allowing any excess to drip off. Place them on a wire rack to set.
- Let the glaze firm up for a few minutes before serving the delicious homemade strawberry jam doughnuts.
Note: These doughnuts are best enjoyed fresh on the day they are made.
Enjoy your homemade strawberry jam doughnuts!